Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Colourful Puppy Art Journal Page with Karen Bearse

Karen Bearse with a post for you today on my ongoing art journal book, with a colourful puppy page. The little guy in the photo is a wee puppy named Clovis. I am his new puppy snuggler, letting him out every day and spending time playing with him while his Mommy & Daddy are at work. I wanted to document this new development in my journal and a photo is a great way to do it.


I also wanted to show you a quick and easy way to colour the SRTC chippies. I used Color Blends, a unique ink system that is quick, easy & mess free.


The inks have a foam dabber head that release the ink helping to keep your hands clean. It took me seconds to simply swipe colour onto the chip pieces. These wood die cuts are etched so ideally using a translucent layer of colour that does not interfere with the patterns is important.


After applying the ink with the applicator, I added a bit of water with a brush to the ink to just tint the paw. Distressing the edges with the foam applicator was easy, as was controlling a light layer. If a darker layer is desired simply push more ink into the foam. For the tag I just rubbed the colours Bay & Stop, overlapped a bit to get the purple colour. For a full tutorial on how to use these inks I did a blog post about them here.


I put the rest of my page together using bits & pieces some old some new & just let myself play! My title life, was coloured the same way using the Blends, stamped on with archival ink, and covered with glossy accents to give it that embossed look. Once dry some distressing with hot pink acrylic paint was called for & than a bit of doodling.


To finish up I did a bit more doodling around the page and on the tag chip. I hope you take some time today to play with both old & new supplies as well as a little SRTC chipboard!  

Southern Ridge Trading Company Supplies Used:
- Life Word (coming soon)
Other Supplies Used:

- Eileen Hull Color Blends by ColorBox
- Stamp by darkroom door
- Stencils by The Crafters Workshop
- Tombow Mono Aqua glue
- Hemptique-Hemp cord
- Papers by Bo Bunny
- Tissue Napkin by Jane Davenport

Happy crafting!

- Karen





2 comments: