Friday, June 2, 2017

Dandelion Sunrise Mixed Media Panel with Deb Riddell

Hello everyone and happy June!  It’s Deb Riddell here today and I’ve created a mixed media panel celebrating the onset of summer to share with all of you.


I made my Dandelion Sunrise panel with a page from Southern Ridge Trading Company’s Zen Dragonfly Journal, Dandelion Seed Stems, Delicate Lace Doily, Small Bird Mix and Clouds stencil.  I`ve some step out photos on how I made it so read on for my how to.

I started with one of the blank chipboard pages from Southern Ridge`s Zen Dragonfly Journal and slip slapped on a coat of DecoArt Americana Cool White acrylic paint.  Stenciling came next through the Clouds stencil with Broken China Distress Oxide ink and a bit of spritz and flick with water.


I needed to cover the ring binder holes on the right side of my stenciled panel so I tore a length of Therm O Web Rebekah Meier Art Tape in half and inked it with Twisted Citron and Broken China Distress inks.  I then stamped some dandelion images and dragonflies with a discontinued Crafty Secrets stamp set and Vintage Photo Archival ink and added a bit of shading to the edges of the art tape with Frayed Burlap Distress ink.


The inked and stenciled Art Tape was adhered to the right side of the panel (the Art Tape has an adhesive backing so easy-peasy to apply) and I then stippled some Therm O Web Deco Foil Liquid Adhesive all around the edges of the panel.  After letting the Liquid Adhesive set up till it was tacky, Amber Watercolor Deco Foil was applied overtop (remember, silver side down!) and rubbed on with my finger.  Love the lost and found distressed look of the gilding around the edges.

I had half of the Delicate Lace Doily left over from a previous project and when I saw it in my stash it reminded me of a rising sun.  So I painted the doily with Tarnished Brass Distress paint


and once it had dried, applied some Deco Foil adhesive to the painted doily with the Therm O Web Deco Foil Adhesive Pen.  I used the pen on this delicate piece as I had more control over where the adhesive was being applied.  Once the adhesive had set up, I applied more of the Amber Watercolor Deco Foil over top, again rubbing it on with my fingers for a lost and found effect.

The Dandelion Seed Stem heads were painted with Americana Cool White acrylic paint and while the paint was still wet, Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder was sprinkled on.  Once the paint had dried, I heated the embossing powder to melt it.


I neglected to take an in process photo but after heating the embossing powder I coloured the dandelion stems with a diluted wash of Americana Avocado Dip acrylic paint.

One of the birds from the Small Bird Mix was painted with Americana Slate Green acrylic paint.  After assembling the panel I found the bird`s colour to be a little too prominent so added a wash of white to tone it down before adhering it.


And finally, a phrase from Tim Holtz`s Small Talk Occasions stickers was cut in half, lightly coloured with Old Paper Distress ink and edged with Frayed Burlap.

The panel was then assembled, the Dandelion Seed Stems were adhered first with bits of black fun foam under the medium and small stems to pop them up slightly.  Love the sparkle from the Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder complementing the Amber Watercolor Deco Foil.


The Delicate Lace Doily half was then adhered overtop of the Dandelion Seed Stems along the bottom edge of the panel with a few wee pieces of fun foam underneath the central medallion to stabilize it.  Anyone else see the rising sun?


And finally, the bird from the Small Bird Mix and the sentiment were adhered at the top of the panel.


I had forgotten to seal the Distress Oxide ink on the background panel before adhering the sentiment so didn’t want to do any shading with inks and water as it would reactivate the Distress Oxide ink.  A simple HB pencil came to the rescue, adding just enough of a ‘shading’ line to bring some attention to the sentiment.

This was the first time I’d used the Rebekah Meier Art Tape and love how it is ever so slightly transparent, you can still see a bit of the stenciled background underneath it which I love.  It tears beautifully as well for that wonderful ragged distressed edge.


I hope that you have enjoyed seeing how my Dandelion Sunrise mixed media panel came together and that I’ve given you some ideas on different ways to use some of Southern Ridge’s wonderful chipboard pieces.


Southern Ridge Trading Company Supplies Used:


Other Supplies Used:

- Therm O Web: iCraft Deco Foil, iCraft Deco Foil Liquid Adhesive, iCraft Deco Foil Adhesive Pen, Rebekah Meier Art Tape and Rebekah Meier Mixed Media Medium
- Tim Holtz for Ranger Ink: Distress Oxide Ink, Distress Ink, Distress Paint and Distress Archival ink
- Tim Holtz / Advantus: Small Talk Occasions Stickers
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Paint
- Emerald Creek Craft Supplies: Iridescent Shimmer Embossing Powder
- Miscellaneous: Black fun foam, HB pencil, Crafty Secrets clear stamps, paint brush and stippling brush

Thanks again for stopping by today and happy creating!











1 comment: